Grants and Funding
There are several regional, national and European funds available for efficiency measures and renewable energy projects of all sizes. Click the links below to find the latest information on the grants and funding available.
Suffolk Climate & Energy Helpline - 0800 02 88 938
The Suffolk Climate & Energy Helpline is supported by Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils and run by the Suffolk Climate Change Partnership.
The Helpline on 0800 02 88 938 is available to all Suffolk residents, providing free, independent expert advice and information on ways to save energy at home, and in the community, helping you to save money on your energy bills, and reduce your household carbon footprint.
Advice and help is available on all aspects of improving your homes’ energy efficiency, from loft and wall insulation, to heating system upgrades, installing renewable energy systems, and right through to whole house eco retrofits.
Information is also available on what grants and funding may be available such as the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO), the Green Deal, Interest Free Loans, and on Feed-in-Tariffs and the Renewable Heat Incentive available for renewable energy.
By calling the Helpline householders can also be referred to the Suffolk Energy Action (SEA) scheme . SEA is a new service introduced by Suffolk’s county, borough and district council’s to provide access to Green Deal funded energy efficiency home improvements.
Through the Climate & Energy Helpline information can also be obtained about climate change, and the many other ways you can reduce carbon emissions and adopt a more sustainable lifestyle, adapt to the effects of climate change, and help make Suffolk the Greenest County.
Funding for home energy efficiency improvements
Are you affected by rising fuel bills or do you know somebody who is? Then the council supported Suffolk Energy Action service could help you benefit from energy efficient improvements like a replacement boiler, cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation – even solar panels.
Suffolk Energy Action (SEA) is designed to help all Suffolk residents save money on their energy bills and encourage the reduction of carbon emissions through energy efficiency improvements. Suffolk Energy Action will provide assessments on the energy performance of homes, identify potential improvements, and provide options and advice for grant funding.
Many householders living in homes without mains gas and/or in properties without cavity walls may qualify for extra financial assistance via the Suffolk Energy Action scheme. For example, early takers can qualify for the grant of up to £6,000 for solid wall insulation.
Improvements within the Suffolk Energy Action scheme include:
- Cavity, loft and solid wall insulation
- Replacement boilers
- Renewable energy technologies e.g solar panels
Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils have partnered with the other County, District & Borough Councils in Suffolk to help residents save money on their energy bills. Together they are offering a new Council backed service called Suffolk Energy Action that provides funding and advice for the installation of energy efficiency improvements. Suffolk Energy Action is being delivered by Aran Services Ltd and works to complement existing schemes like Suffolk’s Warm Homes Healthy People project. This service is funded via the national Energy Companies Obligation (ECO), householder contributions, central government grants, but not through Council budgets.
To find out what your options are and contact the scheme via the Suffolk Energy Action website or by calling freephone 0800 58 777 95 (or from a mobile: 01284 812520) and quote "Suffolk Energy Action 1607".
Warm Homes Healthy People
How we support elderly and vulnerable people to keep warm in winter through our Warm Homes Healthy People project.
Suffolk's Warm Homes Healthy People project helps vulnerable people and families make their homes cheaper to heat. The project can provide the the following help for eligible residents in Suffolk:
- Fuel payments paid directly to your heating supplier
- Boiler or heater stopped working? Warm Homes Healthy People can lend you electric heaters and assess you for financial assistance towards the cost of repairs or replacements
- Do you own or privately rent your property? Warm Homes Healthy People can arrange for an independent surveyor to visit your home and discuss energy efficiency improvements that could make a real difference to your heating bills. The project can also access grants to help pay for insulation and basic draught proofing
Is your household income below £17,000 and your savings below £5,000? And do you meet one of the following:
- Are you aged over 63 or do you live with children under 5?
- Does anyone living with you have a long term health condition or disability?
If the above applies please call our Local Rate Helpline on 08456 037 686 for free advice with:
- An emergency fuel payment
- Making your home warmer as well as more energy efficient
- Help with getting your home properly insulated and draught proofed
- Emergency boiler and heating repairs
- Loan of temporary heaters in an emergency
- Cheaper oil prices and access to interest free loans via Eastern Savings and Loans
If you are a GP wishing to make a referral please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Remaining Funding available for fully funded central heating system
Earlier this year the Suffolk Warm Homes service successfully gained funding from Government to help households in Suffolk struggling to afford to heat their homes, and time is now running out to take advantage of this offer!
Homes with no central heating and which are entirely reliant on room heaters or old, inefficient storage heaters, can apply to be considered for a fully funded central heating system; using either mains gas (if available), oil or in exceptional cases efficient air source heat pumps or wood fuel. Terms and conditions do apply.
If you, a family member or a neighbour are struggling to stay warm, have an income of £17k or less and have no central heating, then please call our Local Rate Helpline on 03456 037 686 or email email@example.com for free advice. The deadline is 30 November so act now to take advantage of this offer of a lifetime.
To find out more, contact Sue Hall at the Warm Homes Healthy People service by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (local rate) 03456 037 686 and quote ‘DECC Central Heating Fund 01'.
More information is available on Suffolk County Council’s Warm Homes Healthy People service website:https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/warm-homes-healthy-people
Park Home Residents Warm Home Discount
If you are a park home resident you may be eligible to receive a £140 payment towards your winter electricity bill.
This is a pilot scheme being administered by Charis Grants Ltd. To see you if you are eligible and to apply please visit www.parkhomeswhd.com or call 0330 380 1040.
The funding is limited so please apply quickly before the funds run out. If you qualify a cheque will be sent directly to your home.
For more information please click here
Other ways to get help
In the first instance contact your energy supplier. They offer a range of services to older or vulnerable customers and people on low incomes, including cheaper energy deals and free or subsidised energy efficiency measures.
All gas or electricity companies offer a Priority Service Register to customers who are older, disabled or have a chronic illness.
- Benefits If you are concerned about the cost of heating your home you may be eligible for various benefits and schemes.
- British Gas Energy Trust Find details of trusts and funds to help with energy and water bills
- Charis Grants can help people who are struggling to pay their energy charges and other household bills and costs
- Community Action Suffolk Community Buying Ltd is a countywide oil-buying syndicate which enables members to buy heating oil at reduced prices
- Energy Saving Trust offers impartial advice on how to reduce carbon emissions, use water more sustainably and save money on energy bills
- Home Heat Helpline Get energy-saving tips, factsheets and advice from their website or call 0800 33 66 99
- Keep warm, keep well is a government information leaflet for people over 60, low-income families and people living with a disability. It includes advice on getting prepared for the cold weather and financial help to heat your home
- Lofty Heights A loft emptying service for elderly and disabled people to allow them to take advantage of the free insulation schemes on offer
- Winter are you prepared? Essential information about staying safe and healthy this winter
- Winter Wrapped Up Tips from Age UK on how to keep warm and well
Anyone who has a vulnerable relative or neighbour is urged to help them find out more about what support and assistance might be available to them.
Forms to be used by Warm Homes Healthy People surveyors:
- Warm Homes Healthy People client referral record
- Assessment for grant funding form
- Warm Homes Healthy People survey
- Homeshield Awareness referral form
Creating the Greenest County is an aspiration that involves the whole county in enhancing the natural and historic environment and responding to climate change. For details follow the link below:
All seven local authorities in Suffolk work together as Suffolk Energy Action Link (SEAL). The main priority for SEAL is to promote domestic energy efficiency and encourage a reduction in energy use within the home.
Ipswich and Suffolk Credit Union
A credit union is a cooperative financial institution that is owned and controlled by its members and operated for the purpose of promoting thrift, providing credit at reasonable rates, and providing other financial services to its members.
Other funding opportunities in Suffolk
Funding and grants from the Government.
Energy Saving Trust
The Energy Saving Trust is here to give impartial, accurate and authoritative advice on how to reduce carbon emissions and use water more sustainably, as well as to help people to save money on energy bills.
Back to Energy and Climate Change main page
Mid Suffolk District Council, 131 High Street, Needham Market, IPSWICH IP6 8DL
Telephone: 01449 724725, 01449 724713, 01449 724714 or 01449 724710
Fax: 01449 724727