Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Business > Licensing > Charitable Collections > House to house collections

House to house collections

House-to-House collection of monies (and also public donations of non-monetary items such as clothing or bric-a-brac)  for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes is regulated by the House to House Collections Act 1939 and House to House Collections Regulations 1947. The Charities Act 2006 is likely to revise these requirements in due course.

Is your organisation an 'exempt' charity?

Exemption Orders are made under Section 3 of the House to House Collections Act 1939.

If your organisation is 'exempt' from obtaining a permit, it will be on the list that is available from the Cabinet Office. Exempt organisations should still notify the Council of when and where they are collecting, but they do not require a House to House permit as they can collect at any time throughout the year by virtue of their 'exempt' status.

The current exemption list is accessible by visiting the Public charitable collections web page

All other organisations

You will need to apply for a House to House Collection permit.

How to apply

Babergh District Council

Application Form (House to House Collections)

Regulations (House to House Collections) 

Mid Suffolk District Council

Application Form (House to House Collections)

Regulations (House to House Collections)

The permit

A  permit is issued if your application is approved.  With your permit you will also receive a Certificate for the Stationery Office. This enables you to apply to The Stationery Office Publications Centre in Norwich for the official badges and certificates that you will need for your collection/collectors.

After the collection

Within one month of the date of the collection you will need to submit an Account Form, a copy of which can be downloaded via the link below:

Babergh District Council

 Account Form (House to House Collections) 

Mid Suffolk District Council

Account Form (House to House Collections)

Right of appeal

If your application is refused you have a right of appeal to the Secretary of State, within 14 days of the refusal, at the following address:

Home Office (Active Community Unit), 3rd Floor, Allington Towers, Allington Street, LONDON SE1 5EB

For further information or a hard copy of the application form and regulations please telephone the Licensing Team on 0300 123 4000 Option 6 or by Email The Licensing Team