Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Business > Licensing > Charitable Collections > Street collections

Street collections

What is a Street Collection?

A Street Collection is a collection for charitable, sporting, cultural or similar purpose (other than for private gain). All Street Collections in the district require a Street Collection permit from district councils.

Collections inside a private premises (a supermarket, for example) do not normally require a permit. You should always check that you have consent from the landowner or occupier before you carry out a collection (for example, this could be the County Council Highways Authority, a shop manager, the district council, town council, private owner / occupier etc.)

How soon do you need to apply?

You should normally apply at least one month before the date of your intended collection. The Council is not obliged to process any application received giving less than one month's notice. However, if this requirement places any difficulty on your planned collection, then you should contact the Licensing Team without delay.

How to apply

Babergh District Council

Mid Suffolk District Council

What happens after the collection has taken place?

You will need to send a Returns Form to the Licensing Team that will need to be signed by whoever applied for the permit, and then counter-signed by a qualified accountant (or treasurer for smaller collections). A copy of the Returns Form is available via the link below:

Within one month of the collection taking place you need to place information about the collection, including the amount that was collected, in a local newspaper. This is done in the form of a notice, a copy of which is available via the link below:

For further information or a hard copy of the application form and regulations please contact the Licensing Team:

  • By telephone on 0300 123 4000 (Option 6)
  • By e-mail