Following royal assent, the Business and Planning Act 2020 became effective on 22 July 2020.
Both district and borough councils can now issue temporary pavement licences.
This new temporary permission is for businesses wishing to place tables, chairs and other temporary furniture on the pavement outside their premises.
This would be for the consumption of food and drink served from the premises.
Key facts about pavement licence applications
- A plan, photos and evidence of public liability insurance must be provided with the application form
- The fee for the application is £80.00 in both Babergh and Mid Suffolk
- There is a seven day public consultation exercise. A public notice must be displayed on the premises for the length of this period
- The consultation exercise will also include responsible authorities (for example, Suffolk Highways and the police), which the Council will serve
- The Council has seven days following the consultation process to decide whether to grant the licence
- Conditions attached to the licence must be complied with
- All furniture shall be removed from the pavement by 11pm on any day of the week
- The Government has extended the provision of temporary pavement licences for a further year from 1 October 2022 to 30 September 2023. All licence holders will be required to renew from Friday 30 September 2022
Please read the guidance notes before completing the application form.
The online application form is valid for applicants in both Babergh and Mid Suffolk.