Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Business > Licensing > Taxis and Private Hires > Existing licensed operator

Existing licensed operator

Once you hold a driver licence you can drive for any Babergh licensed operator. Driver licences issued by Babergh will allow you to drive both types of vehicle - hackney carriages and private hire. Upon application you will need to provide various information, including an enhanced Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) disclosure, in order to satisfy the Authority that you are 'fit and proper' to hold such a licence. Overseas driver applicants will ordinarily need to produce additional information, including a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from the relevant embassy, and allow further time for their application to be processed. Applicants holding EU or overseas driver licences need to obtain a UK counterpart licence (D9) from the DVLA before they can be considered for a licence. Evidence of entitlement to work and immigration status may also be required and validated. Further, subject to Data Protection requirements, the Council may share data with other agencies where it is necessary to detect or prevent fraud or illegal working.

Public safety is the paramount concern of the Licensing Authority at all times when considering licence applications.