click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Environment > Flooding, sewers and drains

Flooding, sewers and drains


Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils do not deal with problems caused by surface water flooding. To report a flood online or find out who to contact:

Report a flood

Sewers and Drains – Responsibility for blockages and repairs

Drains and private sewers are the responsibility of the property owner. Drains are considered private up until they meet the boundary of the property or they join to a neighbouring sewer. Responsibility for maintenance and repairs rests with you or the owner of the property if you are a tenant.

Once beyond private boundaries drains are considered to be public sewers. Public sewers are the responsibility of the sewerage company - in Babergh and Mid Suffolk this is Anglian Water.

If the owners of properties served by a private sewer do not arrange for the clearance of any blockage, we can serve a legal notice requiring the work to be done. If the notice is not complied with the Council may carry out the works in default of the notice and recover the costs from the owners of the properties affected. However, it will normally be more economical for the owners to agree amongst themselves to arrange for the works to be carried out.