Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Leaseholders > Structural Alterations to Property

Structural Alterations to Property

As a leaseholder in a council-owned property, you must obtain our permission to carry out certain alterations to your property.

Examples of work include:

  • replacing windows or external doors
  • installation of central heating
  • removing or building walls or chimney breasts
  • laying a driveway
  • building a conservatory
  • replacement of kitchen or bathroom

As well as getting our permission, you may also need to get building control approval and planning permission from us. You will be responsible for applying for planning permission or any building regulation approval that may be needed.   

If you make any improvements or alterations without first obtaining permission, you will be breaking the terms of your lease. We may ask for you to put your property back to how it was or insist that the alteration is of an acceptable standard and extra costs could be incurred.

You can use the form below to apply for permission: 

Tenant or Owner Occupier Alteration Form


If you wish to write, please send information to: 

Supported Living - Housing
Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils
Endeavour House
8 Russell Road
Ipswich IP1 2BX

You will need to state exactly what you want to do and include a drawing or a plan.  


Major works

From time to time we will need to carry out major work to the building or estate, which includes your home.

As a leaseholder you will need to contribute towards the cost of this work. As your landlord, we are required by law to recover appropriate contributions from you. We will write and inform you of any work due to take place and what costs will be involved.  

Examples of major include:

  • repairs to or replacement of the roof, windows or communal areas
  • external decorating
  • painting of internal communal areas