click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Money advice and support > Getting help and support

Getting help and support

If you want independent help and support to deal with your debts, how they might affect you and what options are available to you, use the following contact details:


Citizens Advice

Provides advice and support to people and the problems they face.


Consumer Direct

Service offering information and advice on consumer issues including credit and debt.

Telephone: 0845 404 0506

Minicom/textphone: 08451 231 384


Department for Work and Pensions

Provides information about welfare benefits and pensions.


Financial Ombudsman Service

Settles complaints between customers and businesses providing financial services.

Telephone: 0800 023 4567


Financial Services Authority

Deals with complaints about financial organisations.

Telephone: 0845 606 1234

Minicom/textphone: 0845 730 0104

Provides information about eligibility for benefits.

Telephone: 0800 882 200


HM Revenue and Customs

Provides information about the payment of taxes.


Jobcentre Plus

Telephone: 0845 606 234

Textphone: 0845 6055 255


Pay plan

Payplan Provides advice on debt management.

Telephone: 0800 280 2816 or 020 7760 8980


Money Advice Line

Provides advice and useful information about money management.

Telephone: 0300 500 5000

Typetalk: 1800 1 0300 500 500


Money Expert

Provides advice on money matters.


National Debtline

Provides a free, confidential and independent telephone advice service.

Telephone: 0808 808 4000



Charity that provides free, confidential advice to help you with your housing problems.

Telephone: 0808 800 4444


U Switch

Comparison site for gas and electricity suppliers.


The Post Office

Provides information about your nearest Post Office branch.

Telephone: 0845 7223 344



A national volunteering charity that helps you to find volunteering opportunities.

Telephone: 0845 456 1668 or 020 3111 0700