click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Mutual Exchanges and Transfers

Mutual Exchanges and Transfers

If you rent your home from a council or housing association and wish to move to a new place, there are several options open to you. These include applying for a transfer within your council's area, a move to a new area or a mutual exchange. 

A transfer is where a council or housing association tenant registers for a move via the housing register, if their current home no longer meet the needs of the household (e.g. size, area, disability or choice).


How to find an mutual exchange

A mutual exchange is where a council or housing association tenant exchanges their home with another tenant. It can be a good way to find a bigger or smaller home, or to move to another area.

You could find an exchange through any of the following:

  • word of mouth
  • personal advertising
  • social media
  • the internet

To help find a match for the home and area you want, you can register online and search for an exchange partner using House Exchange.

House Exchange has people registered across the country looking for exchanges and also specialises in three way exchanges- helping you find the home you are looking for.

When you have found an exchange

When you have found someone you would like to exchange homes with, you must complete the online application form below. Please ensure all parties in your exchange complete the online application form. Once all completed forms have been received, we will confirm within 42 days if the exchange can proceed.

Please note that you must have written permission from your Local Authority or Housing Association landlord before exchanging with another tenant.

Apply for a Mutual Exchange


How to transfer

If you wish to transfer to another property or to another are,  you can apply to join the Gateway to Homechoice, housing register. For full details and the online application visit:

Gateway to Homechoice