Home > Housing > Private Sector Housing Landlords and Tenants > Complaints about housing conditions

Complaints about housing conditions

If you privately rent and struggling with your landlord to get repairs done, we may be able to help you.

We can investigate housing related complaints. We have legal powers to secure improvements.

We can investigate:

  • Asbestos and Man-made Mineral Fibres (MMF)
  • Biocides
  • Carbon Monoxide and fuel combustion products
  • Collision and entrapment
  • Crowding and space
  • Damp and mould growth
  • Domestic hygiene, pests and refuse
  • Electrical hazards
  • Entry by intruders
  • Ergonomics
  • Excess cold
  • Excess heat
  • Explosions
  • Falls associated with baths etc
  • Falls associated with stairs and steps
  • Falls between levels
  • Falls on the level
  • Fire
  • Food safety
  • Hot surfaces and materials
  • Lead
  • Lighting
  • Noise
  • Personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
  • Radiation
  • Structural collapse and failing elements
  • Uncombusted fuel gas
  • Volatile organic compounds
  • Water supply for domestic purposes
  • Shared accommodation including bedsits

Where significant and serious hazards are found (known as Category 1 hazards), the Council has a duty to take action.

Your landlord may need to provide additional escape and fire protection if you live in:

  • shared accommodation
  • a bedsit
  • a self-contained flat
  • hostel or lodging 

Before making a complaint to us

We have a legal duty to serve a Notice of Intended Entry on the owner(s) of any property that we wish to inspect.  This notifies them of the reason for the inspection and the potential enforcement action. The Landlord is entitled to be present during an inspection.

We cannot carry out home visits to assess your current living conditions, without first making your Landlord aware of the nature of the complaints made. We do not investigate any anonymous complaints.

How to raise an issue for us to investigate 

We would always expect a tenant to have raised their concerns with the Landlord or letting agent in the first instance.

It is good practice to do this in writing, so you have a record of what was said. If these informal negotiations have failed to resolve the issues, then we would inspect the property and take any enforcement action necessary.

If you would like to register a formal complaint about the condition of your property, use the form below. 

Make a complaint