Complaints about housing conditions
If you live in a private rented property and it is in disrepair and you are struggling with your landlord or letting agent to get the repairs carried out, we may be able to help you.
We can investigate housing-related complaints and have legal powers to secure improvements where the housing conditions fall short of the required standard.
We can investigate:
- Asbestos and manufactured mineral fibres (MMF)
- Carbon Monoxide and fuel combustion products
- Collision and entrapment
- Crowding and space
- Damp and mould growth
- Domestic hygiene, pests and refuse
- Electrical hazards
- Entry by intruders
- Excess cold
- Excess heat
- Falls associated with baths etc
- Falls associated with stairs and steps
- Falls between levels
- Falls on the level
- Food safety
- Hot surfaces and materials
- Personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
- Structural collapse and failing elements
- Uncombusted fuel gas
- Volatile organic compounds
- Water supply for domestic purposes
- Where significant and serious hazards are found to exist (termed category 1 hazards), the Council has a duty to take action.
- Shared accommodation including bedsits
If you live in shared accommodation, a bed-sit, a self-contained flat, hostel or lodging, your landlord may need to provide additional escape and fire protection.
Make a Complaint about housing conditions