Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Planning > Planning Enforcement > High Hedges

High Hedges

If you are having difficulty with the height of a neighbour's hedge, advice and guidance is available on how to resolve the dispute.

The government published Over the Garden Hedge to provide guidance on settling your hedge differences without involving the Council.

Please note the Useful contacts section of the leaflet is not up-to-date; at least one organisation (Mediation UK) is no longer in operation.

The process outlined in the above leaflet must be attempted before a report can be made to the Council.

If none of the steps in the above leaflet are successful, you might be able to ask the Council to step in.

The government also published High hedges: Complaining to the Council which provides more information. It explains the powers that local authorities have in these situations. 

If you are satisfied that your report meets the tests for it to be investigated by the Council, you may complete a High Hedges Report.

A fee of £350 is applicable to high hedge reports, which must be paid with the completed form.

If, upon receipt of your enquiry and payment, we do not consider that your enquiry meets the criteria, we will issue a refund.

High Hedges Report