Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Planning > Planning Enforcement > If you are investigated

If you are investigated

We will tell you as soon as possible about a breach of planning control and the steps you can take to correct the situation. If a potential breach of planning is believed to have happened, the Enforcement Officer will normally issue a Planning Contravention Notice. This will ask for further information to confirm if a breach of planning has occurred.

Prosecution may occur if:

  • the subject person does not give the required answers or
  • gives an answer that is known to be untrue, on purpose


Where a breach of planning control is found, you will be given a reasonable period of time to correct the situation. You may wish to seek planning permission retrospectively. However, the Council will not always wait until an application is submitted before considering enforcement action.

We would rather resolve any breach of planning control without formal action. However, if a breach of planning control remains, it may become necessary for the Local Planning Authority to issue enforcement proceedings. This may happen through an Enforcement Notice, or in some cases by immediate prosecution.

Failure to comply with an Enforcement Notice may result in a prosecution at the Magistrate's Court. It may also result in civil proceedings, that can cause an injunction to be issued.

In some cases, if you do not comply with the Enforcement Notice, the Council may use its own contractors to carry out any works needed. If this is necessary, the total cost of the works will be payable by the landowner.

For information on appealing an Enforcement Notice, please visit the Planning Portal Appeals page (currently unavailable).

Do you need help with some of the terms on this page?