Diss & District Neighbourhood Plan
Diss Town Council and the surrounding parishes of Burston & Shimpling, Roydon and Scole (in South Norfolk), and Brome & Oakley, Palgrave and Stuston (in Mid Suffolk) are working together to produce the Diss & District Neighbourhood Plan (the DDNP). When complete, it will be used to help guide and shape future development across the designated plan area.
Officers at South Norfolk Council and Mid Suffolk District Council have been working together to support and advise the DDNP Group, with South Norfolk act as the lead local authority.
Local referendum (28 Sept 2023) - a majority 'Yes' vote
A referendum on the DDNP was held on 28 September 2023 to decide if South Norfolk Council and Mid Suffolk District Council should adopt the Diss and District Neighbourhood Plan. The count took place the following day.
The question asked was: Do you want South Norfolk Council and Mid-Suffolk District Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Diss and District to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?’
The two Councils will now work together to agree a formal adoption date for the DDNP. Further details to follow.
- The referendum version of the DDNP Aug 2023)
- the updated policy maps for Diss, Burston & Shimpling, Roydon, Scole, Brome & Oakley, Palgrave and Stuston
- The DDNP Basic Conditions Statement
Reg 18 Joint Decision Statement (26 July 2023)
Following publication of the independent examiners report, the two local planning authorities have agreed to accept all of the proposed modifications. Subject to the satisfactory implementation of these, they have also agreed to take the DDNP to a local referendum.
As soon as it is available, we will publish the referendum version of the DDNP. Details of the referendum itself will follow at the appropriate time.
Planning Practice Guidance also provides advice on the weight to be attached to a post-examination neighbourhood plan.
Reg 17 Independent Examination (Final Report dated 19 May 2023)
Mr Andrew Ashcroft (Andrew Ashcroft Planning Ltd) was appointed to carry out an independent examination of the DDNP. The examination relied on the submitted documentation, the made representations, and the responses from the DDNP Working Group and the two Councils to matters for clarification.
On 19 May 2023, the Examiner issued his final report. It contained a number of modifications and recommended that, subject to these being implemented, the DDNP meets the basic conditions and that it should proceed to a local referendum.
Read the DDDP Final Exam Report (19 May 2023)
See also the Examination Correspondence document - last updated 6 March 2023.
Reg 16 Submission Consultation (2 Nov to 16 Dec 2022)
In accordance with Regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 (as amended), the submission draft DDNP was made available for consultation between 2 November and 16 December 2022.
Diss Town Council (as the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents to South Norfolk Council and Mid Suffolk District Council:
- A map of the designated DDNP Area
- the submission draft DDNP 2021 - 2038
- separate policy maps for Diss, Burston & Shimpling, Roydon, Scole, Brome & Oakley, Palgrave and Stuston
- a Basic Conditions Statement
- a Consultation Statement
- a Habitat Regulations Assessment Report (AECOM, June 2022)
- a Strategic Environmental Assessment Report (AECOM, July 2022)
- an Evidence Base document
- a Site Options & Assessment Report (AECOM, July 2022)
- the Diss & District Design Code (AECOM, Feb 2022)
- a Housing Needs Assessment (AECOM, July 2019)
- a Local Green Space Assessment Report
- a Non-designated Heritage Assets Assessment Report
- the Non-designated Heritage Assets Photo Gallery
- a Key Views Assessment Document
- the Area Application & Designation Notice documents
Respondents were also instructed to send their comments to South Norfolk Council. Those comments were collated and are published below.
- Read the Reg 16 consultation responses (Note: This is a large file 22Mb with odd pages sizes)
Reg 15 Submission (July 2022)
The DDNP was submitted to South Norfolk Council and Mid Suffolk District Council on 15 July 2022. The two Councils worked together to ensure that the relevant requirements had been met at this stage.
Reg 14 Major Modifications Consultation (24 March to 5 May 2022)
The DDNP Working Group carried out a focused six-week consultation on modifications to their pre-submission draft plan. The consultation ended on Thursday 5 May.
Visit the DDNP's website for more information.
Reg 14 Pre-submission Consultation (23 June to 18 August 2021)
Pre-submission consultation on the DDNP ended on 18 August 2021.
Reg 05 Area Designation (23 August 2017)
The DDNP Area was formally designated by South Norfolk Council and Mid Suffolk District Council on 23 August 2017.