Skip to main content
click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Planning > Pre-application advice > Free Online Planning Guidance > Advice about Adverts and Signs

Advice about Adverts and Signs

What is an advert?

The term “advert” covers a wide range of items, including:

  • posters and notices
  • fascia and projecting signs
  • models and devices
  • estate agent boards
  • balloon advertising and flags
  • traffic signs
  • town and village noticeboards

Do I need consent to display an advert?

Some types of adverts will not need consent from the Council, so long as they meet certain conditions.

Other types of adverts may need consent granted by the Council. For these, you must submit an application

Useful links and information

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government guide to outdoor advertisements 

Planning Portal 

If consent is needed, your application will be judged for its impact on ‘amenity’ (the area's visual appearance) and public safety.

If you are still uncertain about advertisement consent, you can apply for Pre-Application Advice