Home > Planning > Trees > Hedgerow regulations

Hedgerow regulations

You will need to seek permission to remove all or part of a hedgerow if it is on or runs alongside:

  • Agricultural Land
  • Common Land, including town or village greens
  • Land used for forestry or the breeding or keeping of horses, ponies or donkeys
  • A Local Nature Reserve or Site of Special Scientific Interest

The Hedgerows Regulations do not apply to any hedgerow marking the boundary of or within the curtilage of a dwelling house.

The best way to apply for permission to remove a hedgerow is to do it online through the Planning Portal. Here you can make your application entirely online by completing an electronic application form and attaching any plans and drawings. These must be in electronic PDF format.

You may still apply for permission by posting us a paper copy of the application form. This can be downloaded from the Planning Portal Paper Forms webpage and printed out.