Keeping my bin clean
Wheelie bins are designed to keep your waste safe until they are emptied, but it is up to you to keep your bin clean.
Rinse your bin out regularly. You can use disinfectant or warm soapy water.
The following tips may be useful in keeping your bins clean:
- Put food waste, including pet food, into your bin straight away. This will avoid attracting flies and wasps which can lay eggs in the food.
- Food packaging that cannot be recycled should be rinsed to remove any food scraps.
- Squeeze air out of waste bags before putting it into the bin. The lack of air will slow down general decomposition, reduce smells and slow the development of maggots.
- Place sheets of newspaper at the bottom of your bin to keep it dry. The paper soaks up any liquids that may escape from bags you place inside.
- Try to keep the bin in a shady area as the sun will warm up the bin, increasing the smell and attracting flies.
- Ensure that the lid of your wheelie bin is kept closed to prevent animals and flies getting in.
If you don't want to clean your bin yourself, you may want to get in touch with professional bin cleaners in your area.
If your bin is broken, contact us to arrange a repair or replacement bin