Liability Appeals

You are entitled to appeal if you disagree that you are liable for Council Tax and how much you are liable to pay.

You can appeal if:

  • you disagree that you are the person liable to pay the Council Tax
  • you think your property should be exempt from Council Tax
  • you think you should be entitled to a reduction due to disability
  • you think you should be entitled to a personal discount

How to appeal

Firstly, you must write to the Council Tax Section. You should state your name and address, the reference number on your bill (if known) and explain what you object to and why. When we receive your letter, we may need to ask you for more information.

Valuation Tribunal Appeals

You are able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal if:

  • we reject your arguments, or
  • we act on your complaint, but you are still not satisfied, or
  • at the end of two months you have not heard from us

Contact us for appeals to Babergh and Mid Suffolk

Further information can be found on the Valuation Tribunal website

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax in the meantime. If your appeal is successful, you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.