Civil Parking Enforcement
Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE) powers in Suffolk moved from the Police to Suffolk County Council on 6 April 2020. This was done with the aim of decreasing unlawful parking.
These powers have been passed down to district and borough authorities to enforce in their own areas. In Ipswich, this system has been in operation since 2005.
What is CPE?
This process means illegal parking becomes a civil offence.
It applies to both:
- on-street parking (roads and highways)
- off-street parking (public car parks run by the local authority)
Bad parking can impact local areas, delaying services such as waste collections.
CPE plays an important role in keeping our roads safe. It keeps roads clear for priority vehicles like ambulances, police cars, fire engines, as well as waste trucks and other road traffic. It ensures that all traffic can move easily and avoid delays – which in some cases, can save someone’s life.
What are the benefits of CPE?
Benefits of CPE include:
• greater powers are given to local parking management, which helps keep traffic moving
• district and borough councils are empowered to make local decisions - alongside town and parish councils - on parking to suit their constituents and circumstances
• irresponsible and nuisance parking are tackled - which supports pedestrians, vulnerable road users, public transport services, drivers and emergency services
• parking fines will be spent in Suffolk, which means that local towns and parishes can benefit from improved local infrastructure
• new jobs will be created in the county to support parking management, patrols and enforcement
How will it be managed in my area?
In Babergh and Mid Suffolk, Ipswich Borough and West Suffolk Councils will manage CPE on our behalf.
I have recently received a Penalty Charge Notice
- I have a ticket issued by Ipswich Borough Council
- I have a ticket issued by West Suffolk Council
- I want to know more about how to request new or change existing parking regulations
You can apply for a season ticket for our car parks online and visit our Parking section for more information.