Bulky item collections
Bulky household items (for example, sofas, fridges, mattresses, furniture and TVs) can be taken to one of the Suffolk Recycling Centres.
You may also want to think about donating items to local charity shops.
Alternatively, we can collect and dispose of large household items for you.
We always aim to recycle the items. When we can't, they'll be taken to the Energy From Waste Facility in Great Blakenham.
For the collection of bulky items from a non-domestic location, please visit our Business waste webpage instead to find out how we can help.
Before you book
The following information details what you need to know about our bulky item collection service:
- For a one-off cost of £45.00, we'll collect up to five separate items - or up to ten bin bags of household refuse (general rubbish) and/or garden waste.
- We are unable to collect very large or heavy items (for example, American style fridge-freezers, pianos and range cookers).
- We do not offer a house clearance service.
- Items must be easily accessible and placed where there is street access by 6.30am on your collection date.
- We cannot enter properties, garages, back gardens or sheds to collect items. We also cannot bring items up or down stairs.
- Items such as climbing frames, swings and trampolines must be dismantled before collection and are classed as one item.
- Carpet and underlay count as two separate items.
- Items must be empty. For example, fridge-freezers must not have any food left in them and wardrobes need to be free of clothes.
- Bookings, changes and cancellations must be made by midday on the working day before the scheduled collection date.
We cannot collect...
- Hazardous waste – visit our Hazardous waste webpage for more information
- DIY waste, building materials, hardcore, rubble and soil - find information on how to dispose of these items at a Suffolk Recycling Centre
- Fixtures and fittings (this includes doors, baths, showers, toilets and basins)
- Fridges or freezers containing ammonia
- Waste in large/builders sacks
If you are unsure about whether we can collect an item, please email Waste Services.
Book your collection
Please note that collections start from 6.30am and we are unable to provide a specific time.
Change your collection
If you have already booked a bulky item collection and need to make any changes (or cancel the collection) please email Waste Services.
Any changes or cancellations must be made by midday on the working day before the scheduled collection date.