Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES)

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations were introduced by the government in 2018. The regulations were introduced to:

  • improve the quality of privately rented buildings in England and Wales
  • increase the energy efficiency of the worst performing homes and buildings
  • improve the comfort and conditions in privately rented homes
  • reduce fuel poverty

Currently, privately rented properties must achieve an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of 'E' at a minimum. The legislation prevents landlords from renting out a property with a rating of 'F' or 'G'. This applies to both new and existing tenancies.

Read the government's Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards guidance for landlords

The government has committed to long term plans on the improvement of energy efficiency in privately rented homes, and has recently consulted on improving energy performance in this sector. One of the proposals is to raise the minimum EPC rating to 'C' for all tenancies by 2035.

Read more information about the government's plans to improve energy efficiency in privately rented homes

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

An EPC is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. Before a property is marketed to sell or rent, an EPC for potential buyers and tenants must be provided.

An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use, typical energy costs, and recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money.

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from 'A' (most efficient) to a 'G' (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years. Landlords can be fined if they don’t get an EPC when needed.

You can check your EPC rating, and find local EPC assessors, via the government's EPC register.

What are councils in Suffolk doing?

Councils in Suffolk are investigating any potential breaches of the MEES regulations, and looking - in the first instance - to help landlords make improvements. Where that fails to deliver better standards, enforcement action will be considered against landlords who don’t engage.

Non-compliance with MEES can attract a financial penalty of up to £5,000.

If you believe a property is being rented out that does not meet the regulations, email our Housing Standards team.

Are some properties exempt from the scheme?

Some properties that are legally required to have an EPC, that are let on a relevant tenancy type and cannot be improved to meet the minimum 'E' rating, may be exempt from MEES regulations.

Exemptions are defined as:

  • high cost exemptions
  • seven-year payback exemptions
  • all improvements made exemptions
  • wall insulation exemptions
  • consent exemptions
  • devaluation exemptions
  • new landlord exemptions

Read the government's guidance on Private Rented Sector (PRS) exemptions.

Landlords must register the exemption on the PRS exemptions register.

Councils will ask for evidence to support any registered exemptions (for example, expert reports, quotes for improvement works).

Landlord responsibilities
Landlords must ensure that where their rented property is required to have a valid EPC, it meets at least an 'E' rating - unless a valid exemption has been registered.

Recommendations for improvements can be found on the EPC and might include:

  • a boiler renewal
  • installation of radiator thermostats
  • upgrade and install or top up loft insulation
  • install cavity wall insulation
  • install energy efficient light bulbs

Properties with older EPCs might have already undergone work to meet the standards; the current EPC may no longer reflect the energy efficiency of the property. Landlords should check their EPCs and consider renewing them if they have carried out the appropriate works already.

Alongside the MEES Regulations, The Housing Act 2004 gives local authorities the power to enforce minimum housing standards in the private rented sector. This is via the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

Read the government's HHSRS guidance for landlords and property related professionals

The EPC rating of a property cannot be considered in isolation. Even if a property meets an EPC 'E' rating, landlords will need to provide adequate heating and thermal comfort.

Local authorities can issue penalties of up to £30,000 when hazards such as excess cold are identified in a property. Compliance with the MEES regulations does not mean that a property is acceptably warm.

Listed buildings and conservation

Historic buildings, listed buildings or buildings within a conservation area are exempt if 'compliance with the minimum energy requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance'.

This is not a blanket exemption. Even if a building is protected, it may still be possible to make improvements. This is only possible where the character or appearance is not altered.

Unacceptable alterations in most protected buildings would include:

  • double glazing
  • new doors and windows
  • external wall insulation
  • external boiler flues

However, there are many more low impact measures that may be acceptable. The responsibility to understand which works may or may not be permitted lies with the property's owner.

When applying for an exemption, owners will need to provide evidence that:

  • all recommended measures on their EPC would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of the building
  • none of the recommended measures could have been carried out to improve the energy efficiency of the building

Owners of such properties should seek advice from their council's Planning team, and apply for planning permission where necessary.

Please visit Historic England's website for further information.

What help is available?

There are lots of places you can go for help. 

Suffolk’s Warm Homes Healthy People service offers advice and assistance to tenants who are at risk from living in a cold, energy inefficient home.

Some funding is available for landlords towards the cost of installing extra energy efficiency measures, for tenants with a household income less than £30,000 per annum. Depending on eligibility and availability, measures could include insulation and low carbon heating improvements.

Councils in Suffolk have secured funding from the government's Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy. This fund will provide energy efficiency grants to cover the full cost of insulation installation on homes in Suffolk.

Visit Warm Homes Suffolk's website for information on funding for air source heat pumps, solar PV panels, loft and wall insulation, as well as expert advice for households in Suffolk. 

Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils offer a Landlord’s Heating Grant, for 50% of the cost of first time central heating or other energy efficient heating system and in association, 50% of the cost of providing loft and cavity wall insulation. A commitment to let for a period of five years is required. Email our Housing Standards team for more information.

Energy Saving Trust also provide helpful advice and guidance on how to improve the energy efficiency of properties.