Enforcement and Complaints

Who is the right enforcing authority for dealing with my complaint?

Most workplace health and safety complaints are investigated primarily by two statutory bodies (there are some other exceptions) namely:

  1. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), or
  2. The Environmental Health department of your local district/unitary council (in the case of Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils contact the Food and Safety team).

If your workplace is enforced by the Health and Safety Executive then you will need to contact the HSE.  If you are not sure about who the correct enforcing authority is for your workplace then visit - Is HSE the correct enforcing authority for you? 

How to make a complaint

If you would like to make a complaint about your workplace health, safety and welfare conditions then you can Contact Us selecting environmental protection. 

Employment tribunal service

The Employment Tribunal Service are independent judicial bodies who determine disputes between employers and employees over employment rights.